[FreeNX-kNX] howto install it manually on debian(etch)

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Wed Nov 7 17:11:16 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 November 2007, cedric briner wrote:
> okay then FreeNX is not that dead :) great news !! And sorry to not
> reply before, we just add a big server who crashed and I didn't have
> time to do whatsoeover :( .
>
> Basically, I just want it to work. I do not really need an .deb package
> but just an comprehensive documentation. So this will be my small
> contribution to the project.

I suggested making the .deb as it may well be easier than a manual
installation. However a good manual install doc will be nice.

> Please help me on this topic
>
> The unresolved question starts with [0-9]: I got 4 questions at this time.

I've never done a manual install, so my suggestions are based on the gentoo nx
ebuild, currently for version 3.0.0 of the libs. This has built a working set
of libs from source on my amd64 box.

> If you find any comment, do not hesitate to tell me.
>
> Ced.
>

> Try of a new howto install on debian nodes
> INTRODUCTION
> ============
> This is the FreeNX server package which you can found in the download
> section of http://freenx.berlios.de/
>
> DEPENDENCIES
> ============
> FreeNX 0.7.1 depends on:
> - NX sources 2.1.0 ( 1:is that true ? )

AFAIK it should work with 3.0.0 too, though this may drop rdp support. Current
Gentoo ebuild uses 3.0.0 and works for me, though I've not tried all options.

> - X11 libraries
> - sshd
> - expect
> - netcat
>
> HOWTO MANUALLY INSTALL
> ======================
>
> INSTALL EASY DEPEDENCIES
> ------------------------
> ----X11 LIBRARIES----
> apt-get install libx11-dev xserver-xorg-dev
> ----SSHD----
> apt-get install openssh-server
> ----EXPECT----
> apt-get install expect
> ----NETCAT----
> apt-get install netcat
>
> DOWNLOAD NOMACHINE COMPONENT
> ----------------------------
> first we gonna install NX sources which you can download it from
> nomachine (http://www.nomachine.com/sources.php choose version 2.1)
>
> then download the following sources : nxcomp, nxcompext, nxagent
>
> 2:Which of this sources do we need to have a freenx working
> ( add a x in the [] to tell me I have to dowload it ):
>   Compression Libraries and Proxy Sources  Audio Server Sources
>   []-nxproxy-2.1.0-3                       []-nxesd-2.1.0-3
>   [x]-nxcomp-2.1.0-8
>   [x]-nxcompext-2.1.0-5                    NX Example Scripts
>   []-nxssh-2.1.0-2                         []-nxscripts-2.1.0-5
>
>   X11 Support Programs and Libraries       Web Tool Sources
>   []-nx-X11-2.1.0-3                        []-nxbuilder-2.1.0-5
>   []-nxwin-2.1.0-3
>   []-nxauth-2.1.0-2                        X11 Agent Sources
>                                            [x]-nxagent-2.1.0-20
>   Support Programs and Libraries
>   []-nxkill-2.1.0-2
>                                            RFB Agent Sources
>   RDP Agent Sources                        []-nxviewer-2.1.0-12
>   []-nxdesktop-2.1.0-10
>                                            Services Management
>   Client Programs and Libraries            []-nxservice-2.1.0-11
>   []-nxuexec-2.1.0-2                       []-nxcompsh-2.1.0-3
>   []-nxspool-2.1.0-3
>   []-nxsensor-2.1.0-3

From the Gentoo ebuild for 3.0.0 where $PV is 3.0.0

URI_BASE="http://web04.nomachine.com/download/${PV}/sources"
SRC_NX_X11="nx-X11-$PV-37.tar.gz"
SRC_NXAGENT="nxagent-$PV-85.tar.gz"
SRC_NXAUTH="nxauth-$PV-6.tar.gz"
SRC_NXCOMP="nxcomp-$PV-43.tar.gz"
SRC_NXCOMPEXT="nxcompext-$PV-18.tar.gz"
SRC_NXCOMPSHAD="nxcompshad-$PV-19.tar.gz"
SRC_NXPROXY="nxproxy-$PV-4.tar.gz"

> COMPILE NO MACHINE COMPONENTS
> -----------------------------
> 3: Is there some rules of things to take car to install this components?
> eg: special argument to give in ./configure,....?

Gentoo ebuild again. econf and emake are wrappers for the usual configure and
make. The only one with an option is the make for nx-X11.

src_compile() {
cd ${WORKDIR}/nxcomp || die
econf || die
emake || die

cd ${WORKDIR}/nxcompshad || die
econf || die
emake || die

cd ${WORKDIR}/nxproxy || die
econf || die
emake || die

cd ${WORKDIR}/nx-X11 || die
emake World || die

cd ${WORKDIR}/nxcompext || die
econf || die
emake || die
}

> ----NXCOMP----
> wget http://64.34.161.181/download/2.1.0/sources/nxcomp-2.1.0-8.tar.gz
> tar -xzvf nxcomp-2.1.0-8.tar.gz
> cd nxcomp
> ./configure
> make
> #success
>
> ----NXCOMPEXT----
> wget \ http://64.34.161.181/download/2.1.0/sources/nxcompext-2.1.0-5.tar.gz
> tar -xzvf nxcompext-2.1.0-5.tar.gz
> cd nxcompext
> ./configure --x-includes=/usr/include/xorg
> sed 's|-I/usr/include/xorg|-I/usr/include/xorg -I/usr/include/X11|g' \
>    Makefile > Makefile.sedded
> make -f Makefile.sedded
>
> ----NXAGENT----
> wget http://64.34.161.181/download/2.1.0/sources/nxagent-2.1.0-20.tar.gz
> tar -xzvf nxagent-2.1.0-20.tar.gz
> cd nxagent
> 4:I think that I'm missing some stuff here. because I do not have any
> Makefile.

The ebuild doesn't so a make in this directory, but nxagent _is_ built,
presumably by one of the other makes. See above for what's done, and in what
order.