[FreeNX-kNX] Client-side CUPS printing

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Mon Nov 5 14:06:45 UTC 2007

On Monday 05 November 2007, Prakash Velayutham wrote:
> Hello Fabian,
>
> Which port numbers get opened on the server and client-side for
> printing?

Many and varied ;-) This may have changed since I last looked at it, but IIRC
it's:
Client port 631 - your existing local CUPS
Client port 20000ish, cupsd started by nxclient on the client, port forwarded
to 2000+display (usually 3000ish) on the server
Server port 9000+display (usually 10000ish) cupsd on server started by nxnode

This was back with 1.5 series clients, and before Fabian updated the printing,
but it looks valid from a quick glance at node.conf

> Now I see that a cups daemon starts up on the client-side with 20000
> port. But on the server side, I am not positive what port I should
> check for, and how the printers should be checked and configured.
>
> Based on some other thread, I changed my CUPS printing configuration
> on the server-side to listen to localhost:3000 and that asks me for a
> username/password now. I am giving my client-side username/password
> there, but it keeps coming back with the same dialog over and over.
> Could you please explain how that is to be done?

IIRC, and if it hasn't changed, port 3000 on the server is a tunnel to a cupsd
on the client started by nxclient. It uses a random password that's announced
to the server in the session setup but doesn't usually find its way into the
logs. Check the $password variable in node_cmd_addprinter in the nxnode
script.