[FreeNX-kNX] freenx is dead !

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Nov 2 15:51:22 UTC 2007

Durk Strooisma wrote:
>> I've been made aware of some even more important (and good) reasons for
>> not following the FHS when installing NX. More important reasons than
>> the ones I gave above. Read about them here:
>>
>>   http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR01C00130
>>
>> I can understand these. They are even "heavy" enough to keep violating
>> the FHS even *after* the GPL source base of NX have moved to a newer
>> Xorg's FHS template layout (contrary to what I stated as "very likely
>> will be too much work").
>
> Honestly I'm not really impressed.

Whatever...

> Seems more like a configuration
> management issue and more important to developers than end users.

You have not understood or do not share the considerations why this can
be important for users as well.

> Distributions like Debian need to change the structure anyway, as violating
> the FHS is not allowed.

I don't consider the FHS a religion with Ten Iron Commandments that must
be followed come hell or high water.

> It's more work for them.

Agreed. So what?

Weigh this against the benefits (if you see them). Curse NM and their
FHS violation (if you don't see them).

> The reasons NoMachine is giving could be true for almost every piece of
> software.

Yes, agreed.

See also

    http://klik.atekon.de/presentation/

(but please have the patience to follow it through to at least slide 60).

> Nothing special in there. Still a lot of software projects obey
> the FHS.

...and quite some don't.

> It's just a matter of preference. Apparently, NoMachine finds
> keeping everything in one place more important

No, they find it more efficient, more easy, more clean, more flexible
than mixing it with the rest of the system.

> than being
> standards-complaint.

Apparently, you find slavishly following a standard more important than
efficiency, ease of use and flexibility, even if it means much more hours
for all those who work for making available the software to the endusers,
with no benefit for the end-users from the additional work.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS