[FreeNX-kNX] freenx is dead !

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Fri Nov 2 13:23:40 UTC 2007

> > I've been made aware of some even more important (and good) reasons for
> > not following the FHS when installing NX. More important reasons than
> > the ones I gave above. Read about them here:
> >
> >   http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR01C00130
> >
> > I can understand these. They are even "heavy" enough to keep violating
> > the FHS even *after* the GPL source base of NX have moved to a newer
> > Xorg's FHS template layout (contrary to what I stated as "very likely
> > will be too much work").
>
> Honestly I'm not really impressed. Seems more like a configuration
> management issue and more important to developers than end users.
> Distributions like Debian need to change the structure anyway, as
> violating
> the FHS is not allowed. It's more work for them.
>
> The reasons NoMachine is giving could be true for almost every piece of
> software. Nothing special in there. Still a lot of software projects obey
> the FHS. It's just a matter of preference. Apparently, NoMachine finds
> keeping everything in one place more important than being
> standards-complaint.
> Durk

Exactly this argument has me brought from making my own packages. Just for your information. This is also the reason, why there has been and have been lots of hassles regarding different packaging for different distributions, which chose different locations.

/usr/NX is a bad choice. I agree. /opt/NX is better, because its third party software. All in one place and standards compliant.

You won't gain much from it though, because you could already use the tar version and have an old compatibility symlink in /usr/NX.

If you really think that the location of a package (and my own experience has showed that having all in one place like /opt/ makes things much easier) is more important than bug fixes, stability of the software, implementation of new features, easy to install packages, if you think that the mere location is much more important than all of that, speak up now!

Yes I am angry and yes I do know that that is not good, but I am absolutely fed up with this discussion.

!M is a commercial company. If you do not like their decisions, don't buy or use their software. Period.

FreeNX can be installed whereever you want, from your home directory to /opt/NX or /usr/NX or /usr/bin+/usr/lib+/etc/+/var and so on ...

cu

Fabian