[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX trouble

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Tue May 22 14:44:22 UTC 2007

> Hello,
>
> sadly I've come again to the point where my FreeNX-Server ist completly
> unuseable.
> If've run freeNX on Debian Etch for months. When Etch finally become
> stable
> (or around that time), some dist-upgrade broke my installation.
> Broke means:
> - Users were unable to login
> - NXClient itself was able to establish a public key based ssh connection
> - NX logs authentication failures using ssh auth attempts,
> - sshd logging showed some connections but no authentication attempts.
>
> However, at first I suspected zum libraries got incomptible with some new
> etch
> ones wants and rebuilt the nomachine sources.
> I also upgraded freeNX to 0.6. But that didn't change anything.
> I began playing around with the installation - scripts, but did'nt solve
> the
> problem.
> However, after a some try-outs I broke NX completely
> - NX doesn't log
> - NXClients timeout:
> NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 23412
> NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
> NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
> NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
> NX> 200 Connected to address: 192.168.1.205 on port: 20290
> NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
> NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
> NX> 280 Ignoring EOF on the monitored channel
> NX> 280 Ignoring CLOSE on the monitored channel
> Killed by signal 15.
>
> and ssh logs successful connections
> May 21 22:43:36 alpha sshd[12996]: Accepted publickey for nx from
> 192.168.34.0
> port 53791 ssh2
> May 21 22:44:38 alpha sshd[13016]: Accepted publickey for nx from
> 192.168.34.0
> port 54625 ssh2
> May 21 22:45:49 alpha sshd[13037]: Accepted publickey for nx from
> 192.168.34.0
> port 54626 ssh2
> May 21 22:47:45 alpha sshd[13072]: Accepted publickey for nx from
> 192.168.34.0
> port 40863 ssh2
> May 21 22:48:17 alpha sshd[13080]: Accepted publickey for nx from
> 192.168.34.0
> port 34256 ssh2
>
> In an act of despair I renamd all my NX-libs, bins and dirs, killed the NX
> users and installed freenx from
> http://kern.nl/freenx/ ./
>
> But that haven't changed anything at all.
> Do you have any ideas how to repair my installation?

An idea would be to do:

/usr/sbin/nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key --clean --purge

nxsetup then tries to establish a connection to your server and also checks the configuration automatically.

If there something goes wrong, you'll have a much better chance to see what is going wrong.

Or perhaps it starts magically working again ;-)

cu

Fabian