[FreeNX-kNX] nxdesktop not working properly

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Thu Mar 29 17:46:15 UTC 2007

On Thursday 29 March 2007 18:02, Fabian Franz wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > i'm using freenx 0.6 with NoMachine progs from 2.1. I installed these on
> > my debian etch system with help of deb-packages I found here in the
> > list.
>
> Okay.
>
> > A normal KDE session with 1.5.0-138 or 2.1.0-17 client is working fine,
> > but a windows session does not work with any of these clients. If I
> > manually start "nxdesktop <IP>", the connection is working fine.
> >
> > Is this problem known, or does it work on your installations?
>
> I hate to say that, but last time I checked it, it did still work for me
> and I really don't know what the problem could be.
>
> > Info: Proxy running in server mode with pid '30684'.
> > Info: Waiting for connection from '127.0.0.1' on port '5001'.
> > Info: Accepted connection from '127.0.0.1' with port '37261'.
> > Info: Connection with remote proxy established.
> > Info: Aborting the procedure due to signal '15'.
> > X connection to
> > nx,options=/home/demx1195/.nx/C-nix-netras-1001-7AA64E8E7243666F481BE35E
> > 14FAA870/options:1001.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>
> This is strange, this comes normally if it can't open the display, but then
> normal nxagent should not work either :-/.
>
> Anyone else in the list has _any_ idea?

I've not looked at the RDP sessions, but did have a similar message where KDE
sessions wouldn't work. It turned out that Rick had set COMMAND_START_KDE
to "/usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/startkde"
in the Fedora RPMs to better match the usual Fedora KDE session, but my
installation didn't have dbus-launch installed. The command terminates
immediately, and the session terminates almost before it starts. I don't know
if there's something similar in the Debian packages, but it's worth checking
to see what it's trying to run, and whether it works when run manually.