[FreeNX-kNX] Sound only as root

Joseph Jamieson jjamieson at FutureFoundations.com
Thu Mar 22 23:35:12 UTC 2007

I don't believe that to be true - perhaps if you can just load the core
OSS audio modules it would be created.   Since no sound is being output
from the server, surely you're not expected to insert a SoundBlaster
card into a rack mount box.

/dev/dsp gets "hooked" or intercepted by esd when an app is run under
it.

Otherwise, if you have esd aware apps it technically should work without
/dev/dsp.   Getting that to work at all seems hit or miss.

I wonder what NoMachine support would have to say about this one.  I'd
imagine that pre-sales support could explain how this is done.  After
all, they sell a commercial product and I'd imagine that this question
has popped up.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory Carter [mailto:gcarter at aesgi.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:58 PM
To: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client
Subject: Re: [FreeNX-kNX] Sound only as root

Well, obviously I think if you are logging into this server and running
programs on it via remote NX client access, then yes, you need to have a

sound card on the server otherwise there is no sound output to redirect.

-gc

Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> Gregory Carter schreef:
>
>> Who owns /dev/dsp?
>>
>> I am not sure what version of Linux Distro your using, but typically
you
>> have to have permission to open the device.
>>
>> Normally for example:
>>
>> ls -l /dev/dsp
>>
>> crw------- 1 gcarter root 14, 3 Mar 20 09:04 /dev/dsp
>>
>> I have writes to read/write on my personal system, but nobody else
has.

> On the server, there is no soundcard and no /dev/dsp...
> Maybe this is the problem.
>
> But the thinclient has a soundcard and a /dev/dsp. The user works on
the
> client as root (this is normal on this type of thinclient), so I don't
> think there is a problem on the client.
>
> Do I need a soundcard or a /dev/dsp on the server?
>
> With regards,
> Paul van der Vlis.

     Were you helped on this list with your FreeNX problem?
    Then please write up the solution in the FreeNX Wiki/FAQ:
  http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=FreeNX_FAQ
         Don't forget to check the NX Knowledge Base:
                 http://www.nomachine.com/kb/