[FreeNX-kNX] Sound only as root

Joseph Jamieson jjamieson at FutureFoundations.com
Wed Mar 21 19:28:55 UTC 2007

I do believe you need a /dev/dsp whether or not you have a sound card,
if the application is not natively using esound/esd.

So, if it's not there it will need to be created.  How that's done I am
not sure of yet, I have a server with the same issue (servers don't
typically have sound cards.)  udev creates it automatically when a sound
driver is loaded, so without one loading I am not sure how to force it
to BE created.  It's probably a pretty easy solution; I just haven't
spent too much time on it.  (I have different issues with sound.)

Of course, I've been told that all this sound stuff is supposed to work
like magic (and that apparently I'm really stupid for having any
trouble) so I don't understand how we could possibly have any problems..

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul van der Vlis [mailto:paul at vandervlis.nl]
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 6:07 AM
To: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client
Subject: Re: [FreeNX-kNX] Sound only as root

Gregory Carter schreef:
> Who owns /dev/dsp?
>
> I am not sure what version of Linux Distro your using, but typically
you
> have to have permission to open the device.
>
> Normally for example:
>
> ls -l /dev/dsp
>
> crw------- 1 gcarter root 14, 3 Mar 20 09:04 /dev/dsp
>
> I have writes to read/write on my personal system, but nobody else
has.

On the server, there is no soundcard and no /dev/dsp...
Maybe this is the problem.

But the thinclient has a soundcard and a /dev/dsp. The user works on the
client as root (this is normal on this type of thinclient), so I don't
think there is a problem on the client.

Do I need a soundcard or a /dev/dsp on the server?

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.
     Were you helped on this list with your FreeNX problem?
    Then please write up the solution in the FreeNX Wiki/FAQ:
  http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=FreeNX_FAQ
         Don't forget to check the NX Knowledge Base:
                 http://www.nomachine.com/kb/