[FreeNX-kNX] Sound only as root

Gregory Carter gcarter at aesgi.com
Tue Mar 20 16:02:07 UTC 2007

Who owns /dev/dsp?

I am not sure what version of Linux Distro your using, but typically you
have to have permission to open the device.

Normally for example:

ls -l /dev/dsp

crw------- 1 gcarter root 14, 3 Mar 20 09:04 /dev/dsp

I have writes to read/write on my personal system, but nobody else has.

Do a chown on /dev/dsp or whatever your sound device is and that should
fix the problem.

-gc