[FreeNX-kNX] NX performance issue

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Sat Mar 10 02:01:05 UTC 2007

> > As I think you are using NX 2.1.0 try to disable Lazy image
> > encoding (Ctrl+Alt+E), which sports the effect you've seen.
>
> That unfortunately doesn't appear to do anything.

Okay,

> > I think best integration would be to run nxagent under
> > VirtualGL libGL directly, because nxagent internally sets
> > some traps to avoid the effects you've seen, when it by
> > default does the rendering via libGL Mesa to XShmPixmaps ...
> >
> > nxagentglxTrap=1 (as far as I remember)
> >
> > see nxagent.tar.gz/programs/Xserver/hw/nxagent/*glx*.c
>
> Will look into this next week, but I'm not sure I totally understand the
> proposal.  When VirtualGL is in use, it isn't sending any GLX commands
> into
> NX.  Those are all being redirected to the "real" X server that has
> hardware
> acceleration.  The only thing VGL sends to NX are X11 drawing commands.

No, no you misunderstood me.

NX already does GLX -> XPixmap by using the GLX extension of libGL. Which in standard configuration is slow Mesa.

So I presume you do like you do with turbovnc:

app -> virtualgl -> HW -> virtualgl -> (as XPixmap) nxagent

But my proposal is: Just run nxagent under virtualgl so you have:

app -> nxagent -> virtualgl -> HW -> virtualgl -> nxagent -> remote display ...

Like:

$ virtualglwrapper nxagent :1 &
$ DISPLAY=:1 glxgears

This way you are using the traps set by nxagent for glx extension automatically. (at least if the rendering is synchronous, which I do not know at the moment)

cu

Fabian