[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX clarifications/Bar CAMP Madison

Gregory Carter gcarter at aesgi.com
Tue Mar 6 21:41:38 UTC 2007

Greetings list,

  I decided to post as I had a few observations about the freenx
packages that are going around.   I recently attended a Madison BarCamp
tech fest and was confronted by some interesting questions with regards
to NX I couldn't answer.  I am reviewing the commercial version at my
place of employment, so when I was trying the freenx packages at the
tech fest I found some pretty bizarre "issues" with the packages I have
never come across anywhere in the open source world.

1) I have been using the commercial client, and haven't paid much
attention to the packages on the repos out there with regards to the
free client.  I have noticed something very odd though, every package on
every repo seems to be broken, and fundamentally doesn't work with
regards to the client end of things.

I find this really odd that package maintainers would allow software
that is fundamentally broken to be installed on end users machines.   By
broken I mean, according to my testing anyway, the server end works
"sort of" and the client simply doesn't work, even though it is
installed.  This is in comparison to the commercial product no-machine
sells which includes a client and server package set that when installed
there is no question everything works.

2) In order for the "freenx" package to work, (I use freenx very losely
here as depending on what linux distro you get your going to get a very
different package...) you have to install the commercial NX client,
which is very proprietary in order for the "nxclient" script that is
installed with the freenx open source packages to work.  I understand it
is free, but I find this relationship sort of "weird" given the fact
that the software is not functional at installation time and is for all
practical purposes worthless without the client.

Obviously lots and LOTS of people are very confused when they download
the freenx package, type nxclient and find themselves looking at a OK
button to press and thats it.

Personally, I think at the very least the client portion of the code
should be removed, and the packages should be renamed "FreeNXServer".

Further some sort of notice should be put into the nxclient binary such as:

"This software is proprietary and non inclusive to the GPL.   To
activate the client portion of this software you need to go to
www.nomachine.com and download the client.   The nxclient included with
this package simple calls the commercial version, without it, this
package will not function."

That would be much more kind to the end user population for one, and
eliminate a lot of frustration and time, given the size and number of
google returns on the subject while I did my own investigation into this
matter.

3) Given the above, I understand a client portion of the software is
under development?   What sorts of help is needed to complete this work
and is there a road map or time line/sponsor?

How many individuals are are currently involved in the development of
the client at this time?

-gc