[FreeNX-kNX] Setup freeNX without nomachine-key: Where to put the key on clients?

Johannes Kastl ojkastl at gmx.de
Thu Jun 7 21:07:23 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

just one quick question. I reinstalled all my nx-related stuff, and
wanted to start from scratch, as I feared there might be some
misconfiguration caused by my varios tests.

So, I uninstalled nxserver via nxsetup, uninstalled the packages via
rpm, and deleted everything nx-related.

Then I installed freeNX, but no client. Then I installed nxserver via
nxsetup, but used my own key pair. I got this as output:

> Setting up known_hosts and authorized_keys2 ...Unique key generated; your users must install
>     /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key
> on their computers.
> Warning: Clients will not be able to login to this server with the standard key.
>          Please replace /usr/NX/share/client.id_dsa.key on all clients you want
>          to use with /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key
>          and protect it accordingly.
>          Since 1.5.0 you need to import the correct key via the GUI.

Of course I would need to get the key to my clients. But Im puzzled by
that last line. If I understand it correctly, when using nxclient
                              with a version higher that 1.5.0 (mine
is2.1.0-17) there is no way to provide clients with the key
automatically. Right?

I tried putting the key to /usr/NX/share/client.id_dsa.key, which did
not work. But after installation there is no key existing in
/usr/NX/share/client.id_dsa.key, so this might be from an older version.

But: What is the file /usr/NX/share/keys/server.id_dsa.key for?

I seem to look for the wrong howtos, or the wrong search terms, as I
do not find anything useful on that aspect.

So, thanks a lot to any one able to shed some light on this issue.

- --
Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent. Working with
windows is like attacking a small whining child who is carrying a .38.
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)