[FreeNX-kNX / X++ Booster] Problem with some keys in Java apps with NX

Achim Bursian abu.aud at siemens.com
Mon Jul 16 18:09:56 UTC 2007

Hi Gregory,

Gregory Carter wrote:
> I would assume our German friends have a "{" key for example.  When you
> press that what happens?
I do have a german keyboard :) And the { is on the 7 key :(. This is what
makes it so hard to code on a German keyboard, but that's another issue...

> My guess is, your running a German installation of Windows, and the
> Solaris box is configured as an American installation (key mappings).
>
> If that is the case, you will need to convert the .xsession information
> from American to German on the Solaris box.
>
> Perhaps a Solaris expert here can tell us where those settings are in
> the X installation of Solaris?

Well, as I stated already, all other X apps (including xev) report the right
keysyms. So the basic setup is correct.

> This seems to confirm my suspicions.  Shouldn't matter what version of
> the jdk you are using, if you are on the Sun console, and your running
> these apps fine, my guess is that the Solaris machine is not German, or
> wasn't installed as a German machine with the appropriate keyboard mappings.
As far as I know, the only thing that matters for X apps is the keymapping
with xmodmap (after the XKB mapping is done). And actually, some special
German keys like Umlauts (öäü) work fine, even in the Java apps. So this is
a prove that it's basically working. It's only some of these weird AltGr
combinations...