[FreeNX-kNX / X++ Booster] Understanding FreeNX

Jose Manuel Vigil jose at vigil.com.ar
Mon Jul 16 12:56:03 UTC 2007

Fabian and Kurt,
First of all congratulations and thanks for developing an open source
solution for the NX protocol to all the community. Its an opportunity for
all of us to learn about this technology and thats why I am here to
understand in a deeper way.

I have a couple of questions I would like to ask regarding this flowcharts
Kurt has posted here. Specially the NX proxies and nxagent-agent accelerate
X protocol transfers.
http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=NX_Components

Background of the question:
In the flowchart of the above link you place on the right side the remote X
applicat. or compl.KDE/GNOME session and next the nxagent next to it as the
first link of NX compression system.
I imagine that the remote X server has no idea that its protocol is being
compressed cause I the agent or the proxy is in charge of talking the same X
language so the remote X is being cheated in a way. Please don't
missundertand me when I talk about cheating I only mean it in terms of
communication and by no mean regarding your work and attitude.

After saying this have these questions:

1) How does the FreeNX grabs the X11 protocol?
2) In which point of the communication -linux side- and sources files
-FreeNX side- are the packages being kept for own NX compression purpose?
3) How does FreeNX cheats the remote X?

I really appreciate your help and collaboration.
Thanks very much
Jose.