[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX: What is the file nxclient good for?

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sat Jul 7 11:23:03 UTC 2007

Johannes Kastl wrote:
> Just my 2 cents:
> To avoid misunderstandings in the future, it might be good to think
> about renaming it,

Wrong *again*.

As I expressed it before, the file is there "for compatibility" reasons.
As I'll express it now, the reason may be more clear: the exact reason
for "nxclient" to be named nxclient and do what it does, is that the
"nxagent" program searches for exactly that filename in its $PATH. (And
nxagent is built for FreeNX from the unchanged sources provided by
NoMachine under the GPL).

>  as it is very confusing to have two files with the
> same name doing different things.

No, they do (here) the same thing, serve the same purpose. They just
do it in a different way. And the "original" can't be used by FreeNX for
license reasons; the drop-in replacement implements the (here) needed
function with minimal effort.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS