[FreeNX-kNX] Need help for FreeNX 0.7.0 / NX 3.0 - Technical writers needed

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Sat Jul 7 06:34:29 UTC 2007

> > Have to think of guest accounts (thx for the reminder), but all others:
> YES.
>
> Do you stick with bash or do you switch to some scripting language like
> python, perl, ruby, whatever ?

I'll stick with whatever is appropriate for the task.

As I know bash best, I'll stick with it for most parts, but there will be also some parts written in C.

And the version will be so modular, that the language really does not matter anymore.

Btw. I have mostly heard:

Oh, wow its bash, it was easy to fix for me. And not: I don't know that language unfortunately.

So it is a good choice? I dunno.

I'll now try to keep all components really, really simple, so that they are not using any advanced things no one understands on first sight, but easily changeable and customizable.

The problems that freenx nxnode was not as stable and error free as !M nxnode were two:

- I first hacked it together and it has grown out of a 1 night hack
- I did not look at the actually source components how things are done, but just looked at client / server protocol. So I did write code without really understanding it.
- There had been some bad design issues, which had proven really hard to fix and which had lead to hard to trace race conditions after race condition.
- I did not actually design or think about it, but just looked at what !M did and tried to do the same as best as I could.

That is why I am now doing a re-design and I disagree that this is the fourth attempt. I had changed some major things in nxnode and nxserver before, but it was all still only code-change not code-rewrite.

The goals of the new design are:

- flexible and customizable, so that new developers can join easily.
- stable and not feature creep, so that features are not affecting the core functionality

While the features are incorporated into the design, they have the lowest priority in implementation.

And again this got off-topic and will be re-send in the Release + QA: future mail.

cu

Fabian