[FreeNX-kNX] Screen Re-Draw Problem

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Wed Jan 31 16:43:02 UTC 2007

   ----- Melding fra buerki at swiss-it.ch ---------
    Dato: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:22:44 +0100
     Fra: Reto Buerki <buerki at swiss-it.ch>
Svar-til: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client <freenx-knx at kde.org>
    Emne: [FreeNX-kNX] Screen Re-Draw Problem
     Til: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client <freenx-knx at kde.org>

> Hi list
>
> I have a specific question about how screen redrawing is handled by NX
> (or Xserver in general).
>
> The actual problem that we have is that the screen is not properly
> re-freshed on the client after switching to a text console and back. The
> user has to actually move the mouse around to make the screen refresh
> itself ...

   Well, a workaround for this problem (if you use KDE) could be to
use 'khotkeys' and add a key-combination to execute this command:
'dcop kwin KWinInterface reconfigure'.
I use this with CTRL+ALT+L to get the palette fixed when resuming a
KDE session with nx.

> we use the !M nxclient 2.1 and nxserver 2.1. The nxclient and it's
> associated Xserver is running in a special jail. the Xserver is  patched
> and runs as non-root. the nxserver is normally installed on a debian
> testing machine.

   Maybe you should ask NoMachine support this question, since this
list is about FreeNX and most people here answers questions about
FreeNX...

> The same combination works great when the client is started "normally",
> let's say from an ubuntu workstation. So the problem must be the
> hardened jail...
>
> Could someone explain how screen refreshing works? I need to understand
> the theory behind it so that I can solve our problem. Or does someone
> have an idea what could be the cause of this behavior? How or when is
> the screen re-drawing triggered?

   My understanding is that this works like normal X11, so maybe you
should ask the X.org people this - they may be able to answer you with
the inner workings of X.

/Terje