[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX development still active

Cardon Denis denis.cardon at tranquilitsystems.com
Wed Jan 24 18:08:12 UTC 2007

Hi Johnson et al.,
> The RPMs for Fedora use NX 2.1.0 AFAIK, and are stable.
>
> Some development on printing has happened on list recently, but none of those
> involved have SVN access. Unfortunately CUPS 1.6 breaks that. Other than that
> my experience is that it just works.

about printing, I was wondering how hard it would be to implement the
following type of printing :
- on the freenx server, instead of printing to a cups printer, I print
to a pdf file in a specific folder (let's say $HOME/tmp/freen-printjob).
This is already possible in most of the gnomified/kdeified apps and
should be quite easy to be extended to other apps.
- a pooling (or a push) realise there is a pdf file in the
$HOME/tmp/freenx-printjob and transfert the job through tunneling on the
established ssh connexion on the freenx client box in the
$HOME/tmp/freenx-localjobs directory
- acroread is launch on the freenx client side and open the pdf file in
the $HOME/tmp/freenx-localjobs directory
- the user can choose among all the local printer on his freenx client
for printing

This scenario seems to be quite doable and quite straight forward. It
should solve most common printing task (there is no ppd info on server
side, but anyway 99% of printing needs are just plain A4/letter, so
shouldn't be much of a issue). What do freenx gurus think about it?

Cheers,

Denis