[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX 0.6.0 released

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Tue Jan 23 14:45:44 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 13:43, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> Good to see you back!
>
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 04:52:45AM +0100, Fabian Franz wrote:
> > What is the biggest issue you currently have with only FreeNX?
>
> This probably is a more long-term goal: debugging freenx is hard. I know
> that distributed processing in bash cannot possibly be easy, but
> extending logging information with stuff like the name of the component
> which prints the line, function name or at least line number would be
> very helpful. Also, when printing the protocol traffic, noting which
> parts are emmited by client and which by the server/node would be a huge
> help in understanding the protocol.
>
> Marcin

Good point. There are a lot of posts to the list where nxagent exits with
status 1 but the log gives no indication as to why this might have happened
(and there are _many_ reasons!). A lot of people skip past this and assume
the error is due to missing files because some of the cleanup code tries and
fails to remove nonexisting files, and complains about it. A clear message
that nxagent failing like this is a problem would be good. Instructions on
which log files to enable and look at would be even better.