[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX 0.6.0 released

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Tue Jan 23 14:30:52 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 13:25, Fabian Franz wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 January 2007 03:52, Fabian Franz wrote:
> > > Hi List,
> > >
> > > yes, there is a new release.
> >
> > Excellent! Many thanks.
> > [snip]
>
> Your welcome.
>
> > > 23.01.2007 FreeNX 0.6.0 "Juliana birthday edition"
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > >         * Fixed cups printing (added username and password).
> >
> > Is this tested, and if so with which CUPS version?
>
> No, this is not tested. This was just tested when te commit was made.
>
> >IIRC for CUPS 1.1 you
> > need
> > to change from 'localhost' to the server's IP or name (so long as it
> > doesn't
> > locally resolve to localhost). If you don't then CUPS tries to
> > authenticate
> > with a local token, and fails because it isn't really local.
>
> I always had cups running as ServerName localhost. I guess that is why it
> did work.

It could be a difference in our CUPS config. Changing it to the external IP of
the server has worked for me and at least 2 others on the list, but
determining the right thing to use is hard to automate. It probably needs to
be definable in the config file, with the default being the hostname or the
IP address of eth0 which should work in most cases. OTOH this might be
useless because of CUPS 1.2.

> >CUPS 1.2
> > doesn't
> > seem to like starting the usermode cupsd at all, which breaks the print
> > model
> > in FreeNX.
>
> Humm, okay.

It's not just FreeNX that has a problem with this. 1.5.x clients try to start
a usermode cupsd too, and this fails if the client machine is running CUPS
1.2 for the same reason we have trouble at the server end. I think this was
still a problem in 2.0.x but haven't looked at 2.1.x yet. The nomachine
server adds printers to the system cupsd instead of starting a usermode
cupsd, so may still work with 1.2.

Marcel Kraan has looked at this more than I have and might have some ideas.