[FreeNX-kNX] Fonts and icons disappeared in the Windows session

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Jan 8 17:35:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

 I have a SUSE 10.0 server running FreeNX-0.4.4-4. I usually log in from
another SUSE machine using the free NX client. There is another Windows
2000 machine in the same network, so I have to NX profiles:
- log in to the Linux machine
- log in directly (proxying throught the freenx server on the Linux
machone) to the Windows machine using rdp

This worked fine for several months, but got broke for me without
modifying either the server's configuration or my local client setup.
The problem is that as of now I see no text and icons/pictures on the
Windows desktop. :-(  See http://kdewebdev.org/~amantia/nxbug.jpg and
http://kdewebdev.org/~amantia/nxbug2.jpg .

I failed to identify where the root of the problem lies, altough might
be a client issue, but I don't know how to restore to a working state.

The problem appears only if I log in from my linux machine. I tried the
following:

1) restart the Linux and Windows machines => no change
2) accessing the Windows machine from the Linux one locally using RDP =>
works
3) accessing the Windows machine via NX from a Windows XP => works
4) accesing the Windows machine from the Linux one using RDP, but logged
in to the Linux via NX from my machine => doesn't work
5) installed a newer NX client to my machine => doesn't work
6) remove everything from ~/.nx (except the config subdir) => doesn't
work
7) played with the image encoding and font settings in the client =>
doesn't work
8) clean the cache using the client's cache => doesn't work
9) start the client as a different user and create a new configuration
for it => doesn't work

Now I'm lost. Why does it work from the local machine and from windows,
but not from linux, even when running from a new user?

Does anybody have an idea how could I see again what is on that desktop?

Thanks,
Andras