[FreeNX-kNX] Memory leak in nxagent, with patch

Dimitar Paskov pascoff at nola7.com
Fri Feb 23 13:06:45 UTC 2007

I tried the backing store option on my client side X server but with no effect
at all ... the simple test I run shows that the memory fills again ... I open
a pdf viewer (kpdf) and began to scroll a long pdf document ... with every
page displayed on the screen the memory of the thin client (Xorg binary)
becomes bigger ... when I scroll back, the pages are open very fast which
means that they are cached in memory ... when I close the pdf viewer the
memory is released back to initial state ... the question is why X server
keeps this pixmaps (from the pdf document) in its memory ... I tried this on
a normal debian based workstation with local X (no freenx and nomachine) and
the memory did not moved a bit! I guess that this memory management has
nothing to do with the backing store option ... and I wonder why the X org
binary uses so much memory instead of the nxclient/nxssh which seem more
logical ...