[FreeNX-kNX] Some protocol questions

Vincent Besse vincent at ouhena.org
Sat Feb 17 20:44:00 UTC 2007

Hello,

I' m playing a bit, trying to write my own NX client with ssh instead
of nxssh. I' ve noticed some strange responses from freenx (0.6.0), in
comparison with free NX server (2.1.0-17):

First of all, freenx hello banner says:
HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.5.0-60 OS (GPL)

I have enabled 2.0.0 backend, so why isn't it something like:
HELLO NXSERVER - Version 2.0.0-XX OS (GPL)

Next, the handling of the client hello is...confusing. Examples

HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.5.0-60 OS (GPL)
NX> 105 hello
hello
NX> 134 Accepted protocol: hello <- ??
NX> 105

another:
HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.5.0-60 OS (GPL)
NX> 105 hello nxclient - Version 6.6.6
hello nxclient - version 6.6.6
NX> 134 Accepted protocol: 6.6.6
NX> 105

Sames with the NX server:

HELLO NXSERVER - Version 2.1.0-17 - LFE
NX> 105 hello
Hello
NX> 133 Protocol version: :

HELLO NXSERVER - Version 2.1.0-17 - LFE
NX> 105 hello nxclient - Version 6.6.6
Hello nxclient - Version 6.6.6
NX> 552 Protocol you requested is not supported
NX> 105

I' ll try to have a look into freenx scripts, but my skills in shell
scripting are...limited (but it's a good exercise !).

So the question: is there a place to find full specs of NX
client/server protocol. I didn't found anything in the NX web site (but
maybe didn't search the right way)?

Thanks.

Vincent