[FreeNX-kNX] Printing Through NX to RDP (Terminal Services)

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Tue Aug 28 14:15:10 UTC 2007

> Hi All,
>
> I've been trying out tunnelling Windows RDP Terminal Services sessions
> through
> FreeNX recently, and with 0.7.0 it's been pretty impressive. There is a
> *noticeable* difference in speed and consistency when compared with
> straight
> RDP, even over a LAN. It makes slow connections infinitely more bearable.

Have you tried if the same applies if you run the rdesktop command from a running local NX session?

If that works too (and in NX 3.0 this is the only way, btw.), you can re-export the CUPS / Samba printer via the normal rdesktop ways.

I _guess_ (but I am not sure of course) that NoMachine did the step to unify RDP and VNC by using the native applications besides shadowing support to also allow file and printer sharing to be easier working with that.

That would be my only idea without massive code changes.

On the other hand if you only need RDP (and the above is not an option) a special session could be created, which _emulates_ the RDP behaviour, but keeps the client thinking it is running a normal session. If you need this or any other customization related to the above for your business, you can contact me directly.

cu

Fabian