[FreeNX-kNX] Solving installation warnings on Feisty

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Wed Aug 8 13:42:00 UTC 2007

> Hello List,

Hi,

> I am preparing an article for the linux Magazine on nomachine, freenx and
> the "NX Zoo",
> Can anybody help me how I can get rid of the following errors ? Freenx
> works,
> but nevertheless there were the following errors after installation:

Sure.

> Thank you
>
> ##############################
> ----> Testing your nxserver configuration ...
> Warning: Could not find nxdesktop in /usr/lib/nx. RDP sessions won't work.
> Warning: Could not find nxviewer in /usr/lib/nx. VNC sessions won't work.
> Error: Invalid
> value
> "APPLICATION_LIBRARY_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libX11-nx.so.6.2:/usr/lib/libXext-nx.so.6.4:/usr/lib/libXcomp.so:/usr/lib/libXcompext.so.1:/usr/lib/libXrender-nx.so.1.2"

This is the only real error and it can be solved by changing it to:

APPLICATION_LIBRARY_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libX11-nx.so.6.2:/usr/lib/libXext-nx.so.6.4:/usr/lib/libXcomp.so:/usr/lib/libXcompext.so:/usr/lib/libXrender-nx.so.1.2"

I just applied the same change to SVN and changed it from an error to a warning.

> Warning: Invalid value "DEFAULT_X_SESSION=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession"
>          Users might not be able to request a default X session.

This is "okay".

> Warning: Invalid
> value "COMMAND_START_KDE=/usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax
> --exit-with-session
> startkde"
>          Users will not be able to request a KDE session.

This is caused by the fact that we check for existance via:

which /usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session startkde, which does fail of course, because initially it was just one command.

@ALL: Any ideas how to check that value better?

> Warning: Invalid
> value "COMMAND_START_GNOME=/usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax
> --exit-with-session
> gnome-session"
>          Users will not be able to request a Gnome session.

Same here.

> Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_SMBMOUNT=smbmount". You'll not be able to
> use
> SAMBA.
> Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_SMBUMOUNT=smbumount". You'll not be able
> use SAMBA.

> Is there a new nxdesktop and nxviewer package somewhere?

I don't know.

@ALL: Anyone build new nxdesktop and nxviewer for ubuntu?

> Which config file are these Parameters stored in?

$ cp /etc/nxserver/node.conf.default /etc/nxserver/node.conf # if it did not exist, yet
$ vi /etc/nxserver/node.conf

> I guess installing smbfs will solve the last two errors, right?

Yeah, that should fix it.

I still have a patch for running it with port 445 and CIFS, but I still don't know how to tell the client that I want 445 and not 139 forwarded ...

So for now running the old smbfs should still work though.

> Funny: I am running a GNOME session right now :-)

:-D

> "Warning: Invalid
> value "COMMAND_START_GNOME=/usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax
> --exit-with-session
> gnome-session"
>          Users will not be able to request a Gnome session."
> Thank you for your help!

cu

Fabian

PS: Liebe Grüße ;-).