[FreeNX-kNX] NX and PAM, a tough one...

Verner Kjærsgaard vk at os-academy.dk
Fri Apr 27 19:50:15 UTC 2007

Fredag 27 april 2007 18:39 skrev Fabian Franz:
> > In short, I do authentication from my SuSE10.2 box against an MS2003 AD.
> > If a
> > user exists in the AD but not (yet) on the SusE10.2 box, a homedir is
> > created
> > uppon this users first login. It's been setup using YaST in Manage
> > Users/advanced.
> >
> > Now, if the very first login to this SuSE10.2 box comes from outside,
> > using
> > FreeNX, a homedir (of course) does not yet exist. So predictably, NX
> > fails.
> >
> > I need some correct entries into (I think...) /etc/pam.d/sshd (or some
> > other
> > file(s)) to let pam_makehomedir.so create a homedir, if it doesn't
> > exist,- when loggin in from a remote NX client.
>
> Have you been able to do this by now?
>
> If not copying entries from /etc/pam.d/kdm should help.
>
> If yes, we would be interested in the solution.
>
> And sorry for the late answer. :-)
>
> cu
>
> Fabian

Good evening,

- Short; no, I've not been succesfull with this so far. But in truth, I've not
spent much time on this very part of the project.
But I've managed to get other also quite complex tasks solved and running.
I'll look into the /etc/pam.d/kdm idea. Thank You!

Within the next 10 days we'll be installing the first couple of openSuSE10.2
on actual HP hardware with load balancers in front of them.

A few interesting issues remains, one of them being the NX problem with a
first login and the auto creation of a homedir.

Another on will be one of SSH identities....in that the load balancer will
send NX sessions to different machines, all depending uppon which one has the
better time. This will, unless we do something about it, cause a warning and
more to pop up...something like: "The identity has changed..."

We need to fix that too.

But, we're on our way. And we will be airborne by august :-)