[FreeNX-kNX] Fwd: Random problem report

jhonyl at netscape.net jhonyl at netscape.net
Thu Apr 26 10:23:19 UTC 2007

 Hi
 I had a strange inability to login one of my users, she got this error in /var/log/nxserver.log:
 NX> 105 NX> 1004 Error: NX Agent exited with exit status 1.

 In the .nx/C-*/errors I get:
 Loop: PANIC! Call to bind failed for media TCP port 8005. Error is 98 'Address already in use'.

 I looked to see which program use port 8005 and found tomcat5, which is a servlet engine.

 In the end she tried once more to login, before I shut down tomcat, and succeeded to login.

 This problem was very problematic, since for some time the user couldn't login, while every other user could login. And this port, it took me some time to find out what it belongs to. And then before I did anything the problem resolved by itself. I don't understand why it wanted tomcat's port, and why it couldn't select an other port, and recover by itself. I looked for similar looking ports (800X), and not all users have them just a few of them. One user have nxagent listen on 8002, and a bunch of gnome-ses, gmone-set... in a CLOSE_WAIT on the same port. An other user have totem-moz (CLOSE_WAIT) on 8000. Since nxagent have exited with status 1, I think nxagent tried to open on port 8005. I did a reboot prior. So maybe the tomcat was shut down before the reboot, then freenx used port 8005 and remembered to use it, then there was a reboot, and after the reboot tomcat was up again, then on login nxagent couldn't get the same port again.

 This reminds me that every user that was active during the reboot, had a problem to login, one failed login, and next login succeed. So, I think freenx doesn't handle reboot well - it should logout all its users before the reboot, I think. But that is an other issue, beside that port issue.