[FreeNX-kNX] Authetication failure and nothing helped so far

Thomas Pfrommer pfrommer at phas.ubc.ca
Tue Apr 17 10:26:39 UTC 2007

Dear FreeNX community,
I know there are several threads around regarding this topic but none of
it did help, and i am a newbie to FedoraCore 6 and freenx, thats why i
hope you can help me. I posted this thread also in the fedora  forum,
but I thought it is more likely to get help here in this mailing list.
First of all, I had freenx running! In addition I had an open VNC
connection and noticed that the nx-connection uses a virtual display, so
that multiple users logging in would not see the same thing.
Unfortunately i played around with tty and changed it (I forgot the
exact command something chng... and then a number for different
displays, i guess), and suddenly everything was black .... it took me a
while to get vnc running again and get the displays to the defaults, but
NX would not work any more. I uninstalled it therefore with rpm -e
freenx. This was a mistake!!. because now, after reinstalling freenx
(yum install freenx), I cannot get access any more.
This is the error massage i get (client is a Mac OSX, the NoMachine client):

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 1548
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
NX> 200 Connected to address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xx on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
NX> 204 Authentication failed.

Let me tell you, what i already did:
I transferred the the client key
opened in sshd_config and node_conf (had to cp from node_conf.sample)
port 22
changed in sshd_config the .ssh/authorized_keys to
/home/'username'/.ssh/authorized_keys2
opened PubkeyAuthentication yes
passwd -fu nx as it was locked

so now I have no glue what I should do. I can ssh to the FC6 machine, no
problem. But the nx-connection fails. I am really frustrated after three
days of googeling and trying to get it run! I am just not proficient
with linux at all .... obviously ...

the command ssh -i .../usr/NX/share/client.id_dsa.key
nx at MY_NXSERVER_HOST shows that I cannot properly connect to the server

And just an aside, if this problem is solved, i would appreciate it if
anybody could help to configure freenx so that I can see the native
screen rather than a virtual new desktop and an additional user could
log on the screen and see the same thing, just as in VNC .... (OK might
be now too much asked for)

Thanks already in advance, and hopefully somebody knows where my mistake
is.
Thomas