[FreeNX-kNX] Session Startup Failed? - Any ideas

Steven Maddox (Architect) s.maddox at functionoffice.com
Wed Apr 11 12:11:58 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

Sorry I am still very confused as to what is missing and left to do here ;(
> You can switch on the debug messages on the ssh server and see what is
> going on. (If it is already on, then look in /var/log/secure)
There isn't anything called secure in that directory - how can I switch
debug mode on?
> Also check the /var/log/messages to see if the connection was
> terminated from the server side.
Doesnt seem to mention anything useful just alot of -- MARK -- lines
> You can also turn on the nxserver debug messages in your node.conf
> file (inside ~nx/etc/node.conf)
Sorry... where is this file?  that address doesn't make much sense to me
> and give write permissions to /var/log/nxserver.log to user nx.
Done, I did a chown on it
> To me it looks as if your ssh server is rejecting the user login. Make
> sure the username that you are trying to login with is also permitted
> in the AllowUsers section of sshd_config file.
Both 1.5 and 2.0 nxclient claim it authed properly I think :S  and where
is that file so I can edit it?
> The way nx works is that first it authenticates the user nx with the
> ssh server and then uses user authentication from the local passwd db.
So you think it is the second step failing, not the first? right?

Should I simply start over? I have tried this on two debian etch
machines now and got no-where with it :(

Any chance anyone knows exactly what the order of things to do are when
using a new debian etch install to get freenx working and which sources
are best?

Sincerely...

Steven Maddox
(Architect)