[FreeNX-kNX] problems VNC sessions in NX 1.5 and parsing errors with NX 2.0

Bushkov Evgeniy protectorat at mail.ru
Wed Sep 20 09:23:13 UTC 2006

Hi all!
First of all let me say freenx is very good product and my thanks to
developers :)
In my organization we use Thinstation with NX 1.5 for old computers like
Pentium 120 with 32 Mb memory. For now we using ~20 computers and plan
up to 200 NX clients.
Two problems I meet.
1.  I use VNC over NX. Why? Because poor NX deadly hanging on thin
clients when working with Firefox and web pages bigger then ~400Kb.
I try tuning about:config options in Firefox but no result. In fact,
Opera working well on this web pages but is out of our corporate standarts.
But with nomachine NX server all working well. I can`t resolv this
problem, so VNC over NX help me, it working some more slowly but very
stable. (we found that poor VNC is very slowly and we name it slideshow :) )
Recently we install 64bit SLES and install fereenx on it. If it could
help anybody, I can`t compile NX sources in 64 bit SLES but can do it on
32bit SLED and then copy binaries to 64 bit server, NX working well.
2. Another problem I meet is not stable work of NX 2.0. Well, I compile
it in such way (on 32bit station), freenx give errors at start but
working good with Thinstation client. Then I try use Firefox at remote
desktop, open any big page and... hang like earlier. So I try use VNC
session in NX and can`t get it start receiving message, that vnc server
cannot be found. I search logs and see "agent_server=10.0.6.7%3A5901".
It seems that parameters parsing work not properly. Then I edit nxnode
and type by my hands "agent_server=10.0.6.7:5901". After that freenx
start to work with nxclient 2.0 but... not very stable. So I return to
nxclient 1.5 working over VNC and it only usable for us.
Is anybody meet with such problems?
P.S. sorry for english, I try to be understandable and hope freenx wold
be better than now :)

Zhen