[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX Samba mount via smbmount

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Wed Sep 6 14:14:17 UTC 2006

You can define the command to be used in /etc/nxserver/node.conf on the
server - just look for the COMMAND_SMBMOUNT and COMMAND_SMBUNMOUNT entries. I
thought it might have been hardcoded in /usr/bin/nxnode on the server, which
is the script that does most of the work setting up the session.

I don't know what the recommended way of allowing users to mount SMB is under
FC5, but mount -t cifs invokes /sbin/mount.cifs. The man page for mount.cifs
suggests making it suid if you want to let users mount smb. You could also
use sudo for a little more control.

Be aware there's a comment in /usr/bin/nxnode that says smbmount hasn't been
implemented yet. I don't know if this is a leftover, or the smbmounting code
is broken, unstable or incomplete.