[FreeNX-kNX] ESCALATION: Problem Connecting to FreeNX 1.5 Server

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Tue Sep 5 19:35:32 UTC 2006

Hi there -

I really need to get this issue resolved within the next few days or I will be
forced to abandon my attempts

to get FreeNX running on our systems. Here is the current situation:

I have upgraded the nx and freenx packages on our server that in turn was
upgraded from Fedora Core 4

to Core 5. The versions of nx and freenx respectively that are now running are
2.0.0 and 1.5.0-50. The nx

user account has been added to the wheel group on the server.

I have run the nxserver -adduser and -passwd commands on the server to create
the user account and

its associated password. I also ran the ./nxserver -status command to confirm
the server is indeed running.

The server in question has had Bastille-Linux installed to harden the system
against hack attacks.

I have downloaded and installed the Windows client version 2.0.0-98 onto several
of our workstations and have

gone through the motions of trying to connect to the remote server. The
connection appears to succeed, but then

suddenly fails with the following output appearing in the Details screen:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 3672

NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command

NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files

NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options

NX> 200 Connected to address: 132.183.12.206 on port: 22

NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx

NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey

NX> 204 Authentication failed.

I have confirmed ssh is running on the remote server. Also, I have copied the
node.conf.sample file and saved it as

node.conf with modifications that I thought should work in my particular
environment. I have included the file in this

e-mail for your perusal.

It is imperative that I get this resolved shortly, or I have been informed by my
supervisors the installation will be

cancelled. Any help will be greatly appreciated.