[FreeNX-kNX] Authentication failure

Jens Hatlak jh at junetz.de
Sun Sep 3 12:29:44 UTC 2006

Rick Stout wrote:
>> sudo nxserver --adduser kunle
>> sudo nxserver --passwd kunle
>
> This is not mentioned because it isnt needed. If you are having
> authentication problems, its because of some setting on the server,
> maybe an improper permission on some file.

This is not always true. If the user password contains certain
characters, SSH authentication fails with FreeNX. For example, when your
password contains an exclamation mark (!), it is interpreted by bash
(which is used by FreeNX). FreeNX's user database method works in that
case since it is invoked differently.

The problem exists in all versions of FreeNX. Unfortunately, I did not
find a way to fix it myself. Maybe the main developers have more luck.

Greetings,

Jens

--
Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>