[FreeNX-kNX] Cups 1.2

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Mon Nov 20 09:52:24 UTC 2006

IIRC cups 1.2 doesn't start the usermode cupsd with the config file freenx
provides. I posted a while back about this, but never had time to find out
which of the many changes in 1.2 was causing it. Do you know if the nxclient
manages to create a working usermode cupsd if 1.2 is on the client? It might
give a clue as to what's wrong.

I don't know about getting OpenOffice or Firefox to use either the kde print
system or a different cupsd to the default one, but I would like to know...

The private cupsd always struck me as an added complication, but I suppose it
does have that advantage, and it works. On the down side it's an extra
process and port per user, you can't see any system printers, it isn't seen
by default by OpenOffice, and unless you pick the 'Raw' printer driver it can
fail to print for no apparent reason - cups logs say to check that
esp-ghostscript is installed. I tracked it to a problem somewhere in the
filter chain that only occurs in the private cupsd not the system one. I
don't display the printer driver selection any more, and force use of raw.

Using the forwarded port directly isn't an option because CUPS and kde don't
agree on how to implement AuthType Digest, but its use is hardcoded into the
1.5 client at least. Using the system CUPS isn't an option unless you allow
everyone (well...all nx users) to create printers.