[FreeNX-kNX] how to let process continue while session is suspended

Nick Owen nowen at wikidsystems.com
Tue May 9 16:49:14 UTC 2006

im Kroger wrote:
> At 03:36 PM 5/7/2006, you wrote:
>

>> Have you played with nohup and/screen?  Did either of those work?
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Nick
>

> Thanks Nick for the reply. I'm not sure what those are, and I've looked for
> some documentation on them, and don't see much. Part of the problem is of
> course there is no support and little documentation on the free NX client,
> and not much on FreeNX. Can you point me to any documentation? Or hint how
> I might look into them?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

I'm barely familiar with both ;) and I haven't tried either via freenx
yet.  It seems as though ssh might be easier, but I guess the context of
what you doing matters ie, if your in freenx, why switch?.

here is an article on screen: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6340

and here is a page on nohup:
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/aix/cmds/aixcmds4/nohup.htm

ending nohup with an & causes it to run in the background so something like:
# nohup wget www.domain.com/file.big &

should download a file in the bag ground even after you log off.

HTH,

nick

--
Nick Owen