[FreeNX-kNX] problems near the end of connect w/freenx client with fc5 on both machiens

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Mar 28 19:43:55 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 16:50, John H. wrote:
> did you understand that i had it working for quite some time, working
> fine, at least 3-4 months?

I did.

> i thought i explained that.

You mentioned it.

> i upgraded to fc5

Do you understand that none of us has FC5 running? Do you understand
that we can only help you, if you cooperate, and put some effort into
finding the problem yourself by following our hints?

Did you understand that this upgrade exchanged completely your Xorg
installation? Do you understand that this causes quite a few problems
to other people too? See, when the FreeNX you use was released it could
be made so that it knew about standard paths used by X (including font
paths); and node.conf wasn't required because FreeNX worked with its
defaults.

Now that you changed some of the environment FreeNX was functioning in
underneath its a**e, you may need to tell it about some of the new para-
meters. That's why you may need to use a node.conf now. But not a 1:1
copy of the *sample (which has everything commented out) -- rather one
that is adapted to your needs.

> and had to remove then reinstall the freenx nx
> packages, so what files would that have affected/removed that had been
> edited?  if i was told that, i could possibly fix it.
>
> and yes, i looked at the faq,

"looked at" is not enough. Have you ever tried to follow some of the
detailled steps outlined there? And if so, why didn't you say so?
And what were the results?

> that's how i knew to look at nxserver.log

You said your nxserver.log was empty... Did you notice the hints in
the FAQ how you can make it log more verbosely? Did you notice the
hints in the FAQ about *other* logfiles but the nxserver.log to
look at? See, with each NX connection there is also sshd involved
which tends to log into its own log files.

John, you're stealing my time by not being as cooperative as you
*could* be: you have not made *any* visible effort to provide more
info; specifically, you have not answered my questions, and have not
responded to Thorsten's hints. Let me hold your hand one last time
by repeating, while rephrasing and being more specific, and by
paraphrasing contents of the FAQ:

* Did you edit the node.conf so that it does not only contain
  comments?

* What are now the actual contents of node.conf (without any
  comments)?

* What is the value you set for NX_LOG_LEVEL ?  What about
  SESSION_LOG_CLEAN ?

* To what values did you set the other parameters mentioned
  in the FAQ ?

* Did you check logs on *both* sides of the failing connection?

* Do you succeed in running this command:
  "ssh -i /usr/NX/share/keys/server.id_dsa.key nx at nxserver" ?

* Also, have you searched the archives of this list for other
  reports about FC5 problems, and how they were solved?

Cheers,
Kurt   [ not really hoping for a better answer this time, but
         betting on yet another "It still does not work. What
         now?"-mail... ]