[FreeNX-kNX] Keyboard mapping problem

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Thu Mar 16 16:23:58 UTC 2006

Am Mittwoch, 15. März 2006 22:19 schrieb Jani Huhtanen:
> Hi!
>
> After the upgrade from xorg6 to xorg7, keyboard mappings didn't work
> anymore under NX session (i.e. I was stuck to pc101 and us). I came up with
> a temporary solution,

WOW! You are great! I really mean it, because you "solved" all the problems at
least, where most of us were stuck.

> #setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout fi -rules xorg
> Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
> Use defaults: rules - 'xorg' model - 'pc101' layout - 'us'
> *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (out): 0x4000afa0 ***
> Aborted

At least under SuSE 10 this is a known problem, which also applies to xGL.

> #xprop -root | grep XKB
>
> (i.e. nothing changed and setxkbmap strangely crashed)
>
> The only "solution" to this problem so far has been to manually insert
> _XKB_RULES_NAMES property.
>
> I do this under NX session:
> #xprop -root -f _XKB_RULES_NAMES 8s -set _XKB_RULES_NAMES xorg
> #setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout fi
>
> Now layout is correctly set
> #xprop -root | grep XKB
> _XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "fi", "", ""
>
> But the question is: What causes this problem and how to fix it?

I think its that setkbmap NEEDs this property in newer versions, so the fix
would be to set that property from NX Agent.

> I hope you guys can help me out here.

You might want to add that line to your NODE_AUTOSTART function, though the
display is not set, so you might want to use 0.5.0 snapshot >= 5, to always
enable your workaround.

cu

Fabian

--
      *** Consulting - Training - Workshops - Troubleshooting ***
   @@@ LiveCDs (Knoppix), Debian, Remote Desktop Access (FreeNX) @@@

--- Fabian Franz --- www.fabian-franz.de --- consulting at fabian-franz.de