[FreeNX-kNX] Sound doesn't work (no further ideas ;-(

Mario Fux foxman at lugo.ch
Tue Mar 14 18:16:40 UTC 2006

Good morning

First, thx for your great work on FreeNX (and on NX in general). The local
school here works now over a year with FreeNX and Co.

Because the change from MS Windows to GNU/Linux with FreeNX was a that great
success the community decided the buy two new and stronger server to serve
more clients.

Anyway I'm right know a setting up the servers and I've a problem with the
sound. I don't get it the work.
I tried several things, searched with google and trough the mailinglist
archive but nothing helps.

The configuration of the system is the following:
- FreeNX from http://ace-host.stuart.id.au/russell/files/debian/sarge/
- Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Sarge
as the server
and Windows XP or Debian testing as possible clients.

What I tried:
- removed # from the arts and/or esd lines in node.conf
- no X/KDE running on the server
- no sound on Windows XP
- no sound on Debian testing (but a running nxesd which doesn't end after an
nx session (have to be killed))
=> I thought that arts is for GNU/Linux und esd for Windows.

When I log in with the GNU/Linux Clients the arts server dies.

Do you have any idea what else I could try?

Thx a lot in advance
Mario