[FreeNX-kNX] getting to my freenx box at home from work

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sat Jun 24 01:03:22 UTC 2006

On Friday 23 June 2006 23:44, Jim McNelis wrote:
> At work I have a
> WinXP workstation (hold the boos) and it sits behind a corporate firewall.
> Access to the web at work is via a proxy server.

That proxy server may be set up to only allow ports 80 (HTTP) and
443 (HTTPS "well known ports").

> I've installed the Windows
> NoMachine client and pointed it at my dyndns hostname on port 8888 but all I
> ever get is connection timeout errors. I read one thread here about
> transconnect but our corporate web filter blocks proxy web pages (including
> theirs) so I guess that's out.

*If* the only way to the external world is via the proxy,
transconnect is pretty much your only choice *for* *a*
*Unix-based* client. transconnect does not work for Windows.

For Windows, you'll want to look for and install "HTTPort".
HTTPort can help such software to use and authenticyte to a
proxy that itself is not proxy-capable (such as ssh command
line client, or previous versions of NoMachine NX Client).

Both (transconnect and HTTPort) will only work, if your proxy
does indeed permit connections to non-80/443 ports (at least
your 8888 port).

The NX connection will function if you can ssh home from work.
Just set "Enable SSL encryption for all traffic" on the client.

Cheers,
Kurt