[FreeNX-kNX] re keying Freenx

ted creedon tcreedon at easystreet.com
Mon Jan 30 03:08:09 UTC 2006

OK.

I have 2 SuSE 10.0 servers, and both ran knx fine, (made from the
rpm's). Now only one is running and there are authentication failures on
the other (for no apparent reason to me).

The problem seems to be ssh as "ssh localhost" quit working for some
reason on SOME of the machines.

However, referring to
http://www.linux-tip.net/cms/images/stories/documents/freenxsuse.pdf the
following is noticed:
1. /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key is not created by
nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key --clean --purge
2. /usr/NX/share is empty (no client.id_dsa.key)
3. So why did it run at all on any box?
4. doing a nxsetup --uninstall --clean followed by a reinstall doen't help.

There is also a SuSE 9.3 machine on which the complete Freenx, Knx, and
NX was rebuilt from scratch. Knx times out on it too. So the underling
sources seem to be workable.

However all machines run the enclosed verification scripts taken from
ths SuSE distro (included). So Freenx works but the client authorization
part is broken on some machines.

Going back to a previous question:

How does one generate keys for the client and server?
Where do the keys reside?
How can it be verified (i.e. su nx?)?

Thanks.
TEdc