[FreeNX-kNX] nxagent font path issue

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Sun Jan 15 19:44:18 UTC 2006

Hi,

  I'm running freenx on Ubuntu 5.10 from the seveas.ubuntulinux.nl
repository.  After a couple of hours getting only the very unhelpful
"The connection with the remote server was shut down.  Please check
the state of your network connection." message and a few diversions
looking into actual network issues, I finally stumbled upon the
SESSION_LOG_CLEAN setting in node.conf and saw the real problem in
the "session" log file:

  Fatal server error:
  could not open default font 'fixed'

I then found the AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X setting in node.conf and
corrected the problem by adding the FontPath definitions in my
xorg.conf.

  Is there anyway to propagate that font error to the client?
Even better, would it be possible to pickup the correct font
path automatically?  I think it might...using this gross little
shell scriptlet in nxloadconfig to preconfigure a default
value for AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X:

  DEFAULT_FONT_PATH=$(echo $(grep -v '^ *#' /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep FontPath | awk '{print $2}' | sed -r "s/^[\"']|[\"']$//g") | sed 's/ /,/g')
  AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X="-fp $DEFAULT_FONT_PATH"

Of course, it would need to be adjusted to find the correct
X config file, but I think we could go quite a bit further to
avoid, what I'd imagine to be, a very common error.

cheers.
  Brent

P.S.:  Kudos to all involved with bringing freenx to the masses.
I can finally stop hanging my head in shame to admit that there
is nothing (free) on *nix that compares to Microsoft's RDP :-)
Thanks!