[FreeNX-kNX] Log file running amok

Eike Hein sho at eikehein.com
Fri Aug 18 13:51:10 UTC 2006

Stefan Radermacher wrote:
> I have the problem that my log file is running amok and fillig up with
> this message over and over again:
>
> ProcRenderCompositeGlyphs: WARNING! Glyphset change with base size [1].
>
> This goes on until the session gets terminated after about an hour by
> the server because of the log size limit. I tried to lower the log
> level, but that didn't change anything.
>
> Can anyone help me out here? What causes these messages?

While I haven't looked into what exactly causes this failure
to occur in a technical sense, in my session, the culprit is
the window of the Amule p2p software. When the Amule window
is open, the log is immediately spammed with those messages;
when Amule is docked into the systray and the window is no
longer painted, it stops.

NoMachine has an article in their Knowledge Base recommending
to redirect stdout and stderr of the session start command to
/dev/null to prevent similar problems, but this doesn't help
here, as the log messages appear to be generated by NX rather
than the application itself.

Unfortunately, deleting the existing log of a running session
won't reset the counter-to-limit, either.

My 'solution', for now, is to set the log limit fairly high
(20 megs or somesuch) and keep the Amule window open for as
short as possible ... ;-)

--
Regards,
Eike Hein, sho at eikehein.com