[FreeNX-kNX] GNOME per user language setting and NX

Hristo Benev hristo.benev at waveroad.ca
Fri Aug 18 13:38:32 UTC 2006

Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> Paul van der Vlis schreef:
>
>> Hristo Benev schreef:
>>

>>> Does somebody know how User language could be changed (not system wide)
>>> in GNOME?
>>>
>>> I use FreeNX server  freenx-0.5.0-8.c4 + NXClient 2.0.0-93 on CentOS 4.3
>>>
>>> I found this setting in KDE, but majority of apps I use are from GNOME.
>>>
>>> When I log locally I can change the language, but it does not work with
>>> NX (setting are not kept). Example: I set it locally by default in
>>> French (My system wide is English), and when I login via NX I receive
>>> English interface.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>> What I do is the following:
>>
>> In /etc/nxserver/node.conf I change the COMMAND_START_GNOME variabele
>> into a script. I use: /usr/local/bin/gnome-start
>>
>> In this script I can change anything for the session I like.
>>
>> --------
>> #!/bin/bash
>> umask 0002
>> export TESTVAR=test21
>> /usr/bin/X11/setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model pc104 -layout us -option ""
>> # /usr/lib/control-center/gnome-settings-daemon &
>> /usr/bin/gnome-session
>> --------
>>
>> You could also add something like:
>> ~/.gnomerc
>>

> This is wrong. I've tested it and this works:
> . ~/.gnomerc
>
> In ~/.gnomerc you can use "export" to set the environment-variables.
>
> With regards,
> Paul.

Hi,

I could not find either .profiles or .gnomerc in my system (CentOS 4.3
~= RHEL 4 U3) so I created .gnomerc and put export LANG=fr_FR.euro inside.

Then I rebooted the machine and LANG was en_US.UTF-8.
When I do export from terminal it sets the variable, but this does not
change apps behavior.

I can set default language logging locally, but when i log via NX it
gets system default values, not user ones.
The problem is only with GNOME - KDE has user language setup and it uses
it with NX login.

I did not change anything in NX setup - rpm installation

--
Hristo Benev
IT Manager

WAVEROAD