[FreeNX-kNX] AltGr key doesn't work

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Wed Aug 2 08:05:06 UTC 2006

Hermann wrote:
> Hi Walter,
>
> Am Montag, 31. Juli 2006 19:01 schrieb walter harms:
>> ARG, no do not do that NEVER fidddle with system stuff.
>
> it was your suggestion to define the key via xmodmap! ;-)
>
>> attached you see MY modmap (in the wild assumption your system looks a
>> bit like mine).
>>
>> you can dump your current modmap using 'xmodmap -pke' and compare.
>>
>> you can load MY modmap using 'xmodmap modmap'.
>> make sure you understand the differences.
>
> My xmodmap, that is the one provided by SUSE, is longer than yours, but the
> relevant parts seem to be the same.
>
>> NOTE: if your computer crashes, eats your pants and data it is YOUR
>> mistake !
>
> Using your modmap did not change anything, no working AltGr, but no disaster
> either.
>
> Any more suggestions?

i am running out of idea why the keycode should not change at all :(
even when some wired bug may change your xmodmap after start any
xmodmap modmap should change it back.
(btw: the modmap was also from a SUSE box). that leaves only the
assumption that you keycode is not known.
when i use xev inside NX i get this response:
(connect via NX to hostcomputer, start xev, press 'AltGr')

/* important here is the keycode */

KeyPress event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,
     root 0x39, subw 0x1200002, time 3454079938, (46,43), root:(1454,66),
     state 0x10, keycode 113 (keysym 0xff7e, Mode_switch), same_screen YES,
     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XFilterEvent returns: False

compare with key 'a':

KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,
     root 0x39, subw 0x1200002, time 3454185222, (23,39), root:(1431,62),
     state 0x10, keycode 38 (keysym 0x61, a), same_screen YES,
     XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (61) "a"
     XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (61) "a"
     XFilterEvent returns: False

this here is my keyboard layout (from /etc/X11/xorg.conf)
Section "InputDevice"
   Driver       "kbd"
   Identifier   "Keyboard[0]"
   Option       "Protocol" "Standard"
   Option       "XkbLayout" "de"
   Option       "XkbModel" "pc105"
   Option       "XkbRules" "xfree86"
   Option       "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

that should answer the following questions:
1. does the keycode arrive at all?
2. does X11 know the right mapping ?

re,
  walter