[FreeNX-kNX] Client unexpectedly closing when not focused

Michael Maibaum mmaibaum at cmedresearch.com
Thu Apr 20 09:54:06 UTC 2006

Hi,

We are trying to use freenx to replace extensive use of VNC. So far the
performance improvements on both server and client side interactivity
are excellent. Unfortunately we have a major problem with the client
unexpectedly quitting/crashing. We have a pyGTK application running on
Ubuntu Breezy, which we are also using on the freenx client side (using
the standard gnome Breezy environment). This application is made up of a
number of process that communicate via pyro for IPC. Our application
crashes under freenx (and only under freenx, not under VNC or standard
local/ssh X sessions).

I have narrowed this down to the following scenario:

Our application receives an event that would causes it to redraw it's
GUI. If the client application has focus, this completes with no
problems. If the client application is does not have the window managers
focus (is on a different virtual desktop) the section of the GUI being
redrawn ends up as a grey box, with no content and after a few more
seconds the application closes/crashes. There are no messages in the
nxserver log beyond the normal messages, even if logging is set to max.
There are also no messages or tracebacks within our applications logs.

I've searched the freenx and nomachines bug trackers and I can't find
anything to solve this. If I use the nomachines server I don't see the
crash, just the gui glitch. I've tried using -slow as an NXAgent option
without success.

Has anyone else seen problems like this or have any suggestions for
solving it or working around it?

Many thanks

Michael

--
Michael Maibaum
Software Engineer

Cmed Group Ltd.
Holmwood, Broadlands Business Campus,
Langhurstwood Road, Horsham, RH12 4QP, United Kingdom

E mmaibaum at cmedresearch.com
W www.cmedresearch.com