[FreeNX-kNX] Slow setting up local CUPS printers

Murray Trainer mtrainer at central-data.net
Thu Apr 27 05:59:00 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I am using the latest NX server and client on SuSE 10.0 and CUPS
printing and notice that it takes 20 seconds after my shared folder is
mounted to come up with the choice of printer drivers then another 35
seconds before the printer is successfully attached.  It takes about
10-15 seconds to remove the queue on logout which is acceptable.  I am
using a recent P4 machine so the server speed shouldn't be a problem.  I
don't need to access remote printers so I have set Browsing Off in the
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf which appears to have sped things up a bit.  I
notice there a few loops with sleeps in
/usr/NX/scripts/restricted/nxprinter.sh - not sure if that is the
problem.  Any ideas why adding printers takes so long or suggestions on
how to speed things up.

Thanks

Murray