[FreeNX-kNX] Problems with a German keyboard with Fedora Core 5 (FC5) and freenx 0.4.4 (Rick Stout)

George igeorgex at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 2 00:44:08 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have problems with the keyboard layout on a Fedora Core 5 system with the
RPMs from Rick Stout. I took the SRC-RPMS from
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/
for Fedora Core 5 and created the freenx and nx RPMs from it. The
installation was not a problem and I can login but the keyboard layout is US
instead of a german layout, I tried to set the keyboard manually (via
kcontrol or setxkbmap) but not matter what I try it's always a US-Keyboard.
On a Fedora Core 4 system everything works but not on the FC5 system, I
assume that freenx has problems with the new "xorg layout". Is there a
solution for this problem?

Btw. this is the output from "setxkbmap -print":

Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
Use defaults: rules - 'xorg' model - 'pc101' layout - 'us'
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"       };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc(pc101)+us"  };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc101)"     };
};

and this is the output from "setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout de -variant
nodeadkeys"

Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
Use defaults: rules - 'xorg' model - 'pc101' layout - 'us'
Error loading new keyboard description

I tried also a simple "setxkbmap de" but is doesn't work, the output is the
same:

Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
Use defaults: rules - 'xorg' model - 'pc101' layout - 'us'
Error loading new keyboard description

Any hints how I could fix this problem, so that I can use a german keyboard
layout?