[FreeNX-kNX] running suspended?

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Sep 30 12:42:04 UTC 2005

On Friday 30 September 2005 13:12, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 September 2005 08:51, Dirk Mueller wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if there is a way for an x application (say: kscreensaver) to
> > detect if it is running currently in a suspended (!) NX session.
>
> NoMachine NX servers keep track of the state of sessions in files
>
>   /usr/NX/var/db/running/{running,failed,closed}/sessionID{......}
>
> FreeNX (recent versions) does it in
>
>   /var/lib/nxserver/db/running/{running,failed,closed}/sessionID{......}
>
> However, these files are only accessible for user "nx" (permissions 0600)
> so I think this is ruled out for your purpose.
>
> Currently, probably the most simple test is to do an "echo $DISPLAY",
> and if it says a figure above 1000 ("unix:1011.0"), it is very likely
> you are in an NX session. However this is no certain thing -- this
> is a configurable option and is only true for default installations.

Stupid /me!

Of course, "unix:1011.0" and the like do not tell about suspended or
attached status of a session.

There is of course another directory, in the user's home that keeps
track of things:

  $HOME/.nx/C-<hostname>-<display-no>-<session-id>/

Inside there, there is the "session" log file. It should record
something like

  "Info: Session suspended"

as one of its last lines.

Cheers,