[FreeNX-kNX] Printing to a Network Attached Printer from NX Client 1.5

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Mon Sep 26 23:27:37 UTC 2005

Hello,

Windows XP, 1.5 client, Mandriva Linux 2005 LE (a.k.a. 10.2) server
running freenx 0.4.4. There is a network attached Lexmark Optra
printer on the XP client's network. That is the only printer.

I followed the directions here:
http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR01C00136 to enable local
printing. I "shared" that from Windows XP with no password. I clicked
on the "Enable printer and file sharing" button in the client and saw
the list of shares. I selected the only printer share, the one
created for the Lexmark, from the "Resource" drop down list and
selected the "Public printer" radio button. In the "Please choose a
printer driver." drop down list, I saw a bunch of nonsensical
entries, deskjet, dymo, various epsons, laserjet, and various other
printers that I do not have and have never configured or had.

According to the docs: "When connected to the remote server a dialog
will ask you to select your printer driver from the list of drivers
detected on the system. Please choose the appropriate model of your
printer from the list." I saw no such dialog.

I am not clear how the server is supposed to be able to print to a
shared printer on the client side. Say the server is at
123.123.123.123 and the XP machine is 192.168.0.10 behind a firewall.
The Lexmark printer is 192.168.0.20, behind the same firewall as the
XP box. The XP box shares that printer as "Lexmark". The XP machine
establishes an SSH tunnel to the NX server when the client connects.
Then what? How is the server supposed to be able to find the printer?
How do packets from 123.123.123.123 eventually get routed to
192.168.0.20? I cannot imagine that one has to configure CUPS
printers for every IP address that clients may connect from.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation