[FreeNX-kNX] switch from nomachine eval server to freenx?

Thomas A. Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri Sep 23 22:43:48 UTC 2005

I don't know if this is a bug or just a difference, but my eval copy of the
nomachine server was destined to expire soon, so I removed it and installed
the fedora core 4 rpm's for freenx from Rick Stout's web site.

My client (I'm using nomachine's windows client) was configured to use the
Custom desktop, with the Settings... page set to "Run the default X client
script on server".

With the nomachine server, what eventually happened (through God knows
how many other shell scripts) was that my ~/.xsession file got started.

With freenx, that setting apparently doesn't work. It grinds for a while and
eventually says the session didn't work, or gets an I/O error or something
(or perhaps all the banging on the sides wiht uninstalling and installing
broke something, it seems like a different fedora core 4 box I have does, in
fact, run my .xsession file when I point the same client to it, so maybe
there is some fragment of ssh key or .Xauthority file or something leftover
that is breaking my normal ~/.xsession - suggestions for what to cleanup
welcome :-).

This confused me for quite a while, so I just thought I'd mention it on the
mailing list to help out the next confused person (or to see if it should be
considered a bug :-).

Other than that, everything is working fine with freenx as near as I can
tell (if I just tell it to run an xterm, for instance, it has no
problems).